Commercial EPC Regulations – properties below 50 sqm

With Commercial Energy Performance Certificate (CEPC) legislation now rolled out across the country there has proven to be some confusion in areas of the regulations, particularly with regard to what properties are exempt from needing a CEPC. The biggest area of contention seems to be based on the size of a property.

There is an urban myth that is gaining popularity within the market that non domestic properties of 50 square meters and below are exempt from needing a Commercial Energy Performance Certificate as required by law.

As with most urban myths there is an element of truth to this, but it is not accurate. There are exemptions written into the regulations that govern the implementation which deal with several sections of non domestic buildings. One of the exemptions is that buildings below 50 square meters or 555 square feet that are free standing, i.e. entirely detached, do not require a Commercial EPC.

What does this mean? It means that if the building shares heat loss on any side with another building, whether that building is domestic or non domestic, then it is not entirely detached. The best example of this type of building would be a petrol forecourt station. These are normally built on their own, with no other buildings attached.

In all other cases relating to this 50 square meter issue, a Commercial EPC would be required on construction, sale, let, sub let or substantial renovation that would affect the energy performance of the building. There could be other usage exemptions of the building that may apply, such as low energy demand or agricultural building status, but these do not involve the 50 square meter regulation. This has been clarified directly with the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD), who is responsible for enforcing the guidelines for matters relating to Energy Performance Certificates.

There is a further rumour related to this, that iSBEM, the software that is used to produce Commercial EPCs, cannot be used to produce CEPCs for buildings that are under 50 square meters in size. This is completely untrue. This has been clarified directly with the software manufacturers and through practical experience of producing Commercial Energy Performance Certificates on this type of building.

This sector is still bedding in and if you are given conflicting advice, then you should seek clarification. The latest regulation documents are free to download from the Department of Communities and Local Government website. If in doubt you should always seek expert advice. Don’t get caught out!!

Written by Symon Silvester

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Comments are closed.