Do you know what you’re covered for? 5 Things to check when buying home insurance

With the costs of cancelling a policy set by most insurance companies, you need to get it right first time round and make sure you select the cover that is right for you. Luckily, these days we have comparison sites to brush us up on our insurance knowledge by asking all the relevant questions. In case you’re still lost in the world of home insurance, here are five things to look out for.

Is your home listed?

If you’re moving into an older property, you need to check whether it’s Grade I, II or II* listed. If it is, you may have to pay a little extra for your home insurance because repairs are likely to cost more due to the specific materials needed. Make sure you look for specific insurance that covers your property’s age and always make sure your insurance provider is aware if you aren’t sure.

Are you covered for flooding?

It’s a risky business buying a home in an area that is liable to flooding, and insurance providers know it. Due to some companies trying to avoid paying out for rebuilding costs for people at risk, there is an agreement between the UK government and the insurance industry called Flood Re. This means you can still find affordable flood insurance, just check and double check your policy and if you are really worried, opt for specialist insurance for flooding as an extra.

Can you rent out rooms?

There has been a huge rise in the popularity of homeowners renting out their spare rooms to help cover bills over the last couple of years. If this is something you are considering you need to alert your insurance company that it isn’t just you in the property and also chat to your housemates about their contents. For example, if they own a bicycle that is worth over £2,000 you may want to insure it separately.
It may add a bit more on to what you’re paying each month, but it’s worth it in the long run.

Are your contents covered out of the home?

The perfect insurance policy will cover your contents when you’re out and about. Things like expensive jewellery, cameras and phones are costly to replace but if you can cover the excess, you may be able to find a home insurance policy that pays the rest. Look for the option on items requiring cover away from home when you come to looking for home insurance. For example, RAC insurance offer an optional extra which covers your personal possessions out of the home and even while abroad so you should opt for this if you’re out and about a lot.

Outbuildings and sheds

It’s not unusual for people to keep expensive equipment in sheds and outbuildings. They are often the homes of lawn mowers, specialist tools and even gym equipment and bicycles. However, are these items insured under your home’s content insurance? Chances are that it’s not on the most basic cover, so look for this when you’re shopping around and make sure that everything is covered.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Comments are closed.