Continuing Professional Development (CPD) as a DEA

February 2nd, 2009 Posted in Energy Assessors, EPC 2 Comments »

Continuing Professional Development continues to be a ‘hot topic’ within the domestic energy assessor industry; with accreditation schemes auditing their members and DEAs looking to provide evidence of the required CPD hours.

We were very happy to announce we had been asked to help design a website for Continuing Professional Development for those in the industry in a previous article ‘What is Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for Domestic Energy Assessors?’; and even more pleased to be able to say it is now live !!

Read the rest of this entry »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Commercial EPC Regulations – properties below 50 sqm

December 22nd, 2008 Posted in EPC 4 Comments »

With Commercial Energy Performance Certificate (CEPC) legislation now rolled out across the country there has proven to be some confusion in areas of the regulations, particularly with regard to what properties are exempt from needing a CEPC. The biggest area of contention seems to be based on the size of a property.

There is an urban myth that is gaining popularity within the market that non domestic properties of 50 square meters and below are exempt from needing a Commercial Energy Performance Certificate as required by law.

Read the rest of this entry »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

DEAs the answer to eradicating fuel poverty?

December 20th, 2008 Posted in Energy Saving, EPC 4 Comments »

The domestic energy assessor industry is deveolping from its fledgling existence with ambitious plans to utilise the skill base we have within the UK. The energy assessment industry has met numerous challenges since its inception, certainly during the past year.

Maybe due to the New Year approaching, maybe due to the frustration from the lack of progress made by the Government in certain areas, there has been a noticeable amount of reflection on goals achieved within our industry and future aspirations that would benefit our industry but more so the country and arguably the entire planet.

Read the rest of this entry »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

What is Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for Domestic Energy Assessors?

November 25th, 2008 Posted in EPC 1 Comment »

Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is a method of improving your skills and knowledge base by constant development. This is achieved by the individual Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) setting themselves a target for certain areas of improvement and learning across a given time.

There is not a set route or programme with regard to CPD as different people will begin the process at different levels of experience and knowledge; however, the process follows certain guidelines that allow each to achieve what is planned.

Read the rest of this entry »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Do you need a Display Energy Certificate ?

November 6th, 2008 Posted in EPC 4 Comments »

You will have heard about Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) and the full roll out that finished on the 1st October. Anyone involved in domestic or non domestic property will come across them in some capacity. However, in amongst all the legislation in the regulations there is another requirement that may take some by surprise.

Display Energy Certificate width=From 1st October 2008 all public sector buildings, which are non dwellings, with public access and above 1,000 square meters will need to have a valid Display Energy Certificate, or DEC. Council offices would need one, leisure centres would need one, hospitals would need one, a large school may need one, but only if it is publically owed and has public access. No private building is required to have a valid DEC, although there is nothing to stop someone having one on a voluntary basis.

There are two elements to a DEC. The first is the Certificate. This is an annually renewable document which is based on the analysis of the building utility bills. The other is an Advisory Report which is based on an inspection and is valid for up to seven years. It is a legal requirement to display the Certificate at all times, such as in a public reception area, and to have an accompanying valid Advisory Report available to be produced if requested by anyone who asks for it. Failure to have both elements of a valid DEC in your possession can result in fines.

Read the rest of this entry »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Home Inspector Training – a viable career ?

October 29th, 2008 Posted in EPC, News 30 Comments »

Home Inspector (HI) and Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) training has had claims attached to it of large potential earnings for those qualifying and practicing in this field.

In response to a high levels of comments left on the article (at time of writing nearly a 100 comments) ‘Should I train as a Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) ?’ we felt it would be beneficial to specifically explore the Home Inspector (HI) qualification and its potential further.

The Home Inspector qualification was designed to fulfill the Home Condition Report (HCR) requirement within the Home Information Pack. Initially, it was planned that the HCR would be a mandatory component within the HIP though was in fact made an optional document. Professionals within the industry and none more so than those that qualified as a Home Inspector near its’ inception will tell you that there has been very little to no demand for the HCR due to it being made voluntary.

Read the rest of this entry »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Commercial EPC Extension, is there a delay?

October 1st, 2008 Posted in EPC, Guest Articles 18 Comments »

Hidden away amidst the depths of the legislation that came into force in October from the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has been a clause about Commercial Energy Performance Certificates (CEPC).

The DCLG Guidelines clause is out lined below:-

house for sale“Clarifying arrangements for the October roll-out for commercial buildings already on the market which will be similar to those put in place in April and July. This means that any non-domestic building on the market before 1st October and remaining on the market will need an EPC by 1st January at the latest. If it is sold or rented out in the meantime, an EPC must be commissioned and then handed over as soon as is practicable. This measure is intended to make it easier for owners and landlords to comply with the legislation, avoid market fluctuations and is in response to expectations from the industry.”

Read the rest of this entry »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Pre HIP properties and your requirements

September 29th, 2008 Posted in EPC, Home Information Packs Comments Off on Pre HIP properties and your requirements

The Home Information Pack legislation is generally understood; that ‘all’ domestic properties being placed on the market require a HIP, except in a few exceptions. The important date of the 1st October 2008 looms in regard to the Energy Performance Cerification of properties; did you realise that if your house was on the market before the relevant Home Information Pack legislation was enacted that you will require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

house for saleYou may have had you home on the market by now a ‘considerable’ length of time and whilst these properties continue to be exempt from the HIP legislation are not exempt from Energy Performance Building Directive (E.P.B.D.)

So what does this mean for pre-HIPs home sellers from the 1st October 2008?

One must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) commisioned and it must be made available to prospective buyers in its full form at the earliest opportunity when:

  • when the building is viewed
  • If any written information about the building is provided as a result of a request by a prospective buyer – this includes email and electronic communication
  • When contracts are exchanged

Read the rest of this entry »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Improved Energy Performance Certificates – RDSAP v9.82

September 20th, 2008 Posted in EPC Comments Off on Improved Energy Performance Certificates – RDSAP v9.82

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) are due to evolve with improvements being made to the methodology and assessment procedure shortly, RDSAP v9.82. The RDSAP (Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure – the government approved standardised system for undertaking an energy survey on an existing dwelling), has always had its limitations as it is a simplified version of the full SAP methodology.

house with plansEnergy Performance Certificates were implemented as part of the Home Information Pack legislation on 1st August 2007 and will also be required as of the 1st October 2008 in the rental market. EPC are now becoming more widely understood and the benefits they bring recognised. However, there has been criticism made about the accuracy of some assessments in certain scenarios due to the inherent limitations of RDSAP to include some less frequently found aspects.

Read the rest of this entry »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Commercial Energy Performance Certificates

September 1st, 2008 Posted in EPC, Guest Articles 34 Comments »

Commercial EPCsYou will have heard of the residential Energy Performance Certificates or EPCs that were instituted last year as part of the Home Information Pack legislation, but did you know that there is a Commercial Energy Performance Certificate that is currently being rolled out?

It is easy to assume that because both the residential and commercial EPC share the same name that they are similar entities and require similar surveys or skills, but nothing could be further from the truth. It is best to think of them as cousins, related in history, but separate families.

When is a Commercial Energy Performance Certificate (CEPC) required? You may not have been aware of it, but Commercial EPCs actually began to roll out this year, coming into force from April 2008. Already all non domestic buildings above 2,500 square metres that are being constructed, sold, major renovations or let will require a CEPC.  By 1st October 2008 this will be rolled out to all remaining commercial properties. As always there are exemptions, such as places of worship, buildings scheduled for demolition or temporary buildings. Anyone involved with any non domestic property should seek expert advice as to whether they need one or not, as there are stringent penalties for non compliance.

Read the rest of this entry »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) and Home Inspectors numbers updated

August 27th, 2008 Posted in Energy Assessors, EPC, Home Information Packs 23 Comments »

After our recent article,  should i train as a domestic energy assessor? which has received a massive number of comments and strength of feeling within the responses; we have decided to follow this up with the latest announcement by the Government.

The Government periodically announces combined numbers of Domestic Energy Assessors and Home Inspectors and breaks the figures down into the stage they have achieved at the time of reporting. The numbers continue to rise from the last published figures on the 6th March 2008. As of 23rd May 2008 the official numbers are:

Accredited (DEA & HI) – 7,930 (increase of 829 from 6/3/08)
Qualified (DEA & HI) – 1,464 (passed exams and qualified, but not yet become accredited)
Passed exams (DEA & HI) – 4,816
Total (DEA & HI) in system who have passed exams or progressed further – 14,210 (increase of 2,784 from 6/3/08)

It is worth remembering that these figures do not show those that are currently practicing. It is anticipated that both Domestic Energy Assessors and Home Inspectors (whom many have never carried out enough Home Condition Reports even to regain a fraction of the training costs) have left the industry. It is sad that these people have been unable to survive within the industry; often citing a lack of instructions and income as the main defining reason for leaving to find alternative employment.

Read the rest of this entry »

AddThis Social Bookmark Button